About the Role:
We are looking for a motivated and exceptional corporate finance professional to join our Leadership Team. The Vice President of Finance will lead the financial management of the organization, with a focus on capital raising, cost efficiency and thought leadership. The VP will directly report to the CEO, become an integral member of the Leadership Team and will directly manage a four person finance and accounting team that includes a controller, reporting manager, accounts payable associate, and loan portfolio associate. S/he will also work directly with the Chair of the Finance and Audit committee of the Board of Directors and will often present to the entire board. This position is ideally suited for someone who wants a visible senior role in driving the financial future of a growing organization.
Capital Raising (25%):
- Lead all communication with existing and prospective creditors of Ascendus
- Secure up to $10MM in annual borrowings/liquidity to support growth of Ascendus.
- Ensure timely delivery of financial covenant and other reports to creditors.
- Ensure compliance with all bank covenants.
Financial Management (40%):
- Lead process and secure board approval of annual budget by December 31st.
- Achieve financial results that meet or exceed budget.
- Lead the Finance & Audit committee meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Realize annual cost savings of 5% or more per year.
- Support preparation of grant program budgets and/or other reporting requests.
- Ensure continuous and timely reporting to stakeholders.
- Ensure continuous and appropriate insurance coverage.
- Prepare all other analyses required to support organizational vision and strategy.
Staff Development (20%):
- Secure retention and professional development of department staff.
- Maximize automation to free up capacity for Reporting Manager by at least 25%.
- Special project support as needed.
Audit related (15%):
- Secure board accepted audited financials and single audit report by May 31st.
- Secure issuance of signed tax returns by June 30th.
- Ensure timely update and compliance with accounting policies and procedures.
- Analytical skills. Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
- Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including email.
- Strategic Thinking/Visioning. Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Creativity/Innovation.Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Flexibility/Adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Ability to develop people. Coaches people in their current roles to improve performance and prepares them for future roles.
- Shares our organizational values (see https://www.ascendus.org/annual-report/#who-we-are)
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related area of study. Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
- 5+ years of managerial experience within the finance industry.
- Ability to create an articulating financial model in Excel (e.g. income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement) from scratch.
- CPA and/or CFA preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary depending on
- 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision premiums (savings of $6K – $12K per annum) and monthly mobile phone stipend of $30.
- Robust medical plan with $0 deductible and 0% co-insurance.
- Additionally, each employee receives $1,500 employer paid HRA card for range of medical-related expenses such as co-pays, prescriptions,
- Eligible for 401(k) participation after thirty (30) days of employment; and
- Participation in Success Share Plan bonus (a profit-sharing plan).
How to Apply:
- Submit your cover letter, explaining how your background meets the key competencies and qualifications, and your resume to [email protected].