Ascendus is a nonprofit small business lender whose vision is to create a world of financial ascension for all. Our mission is to empower low-to-moderate income entrepreneurs through access to the capital and business support to create and grow healthy enterprises and contribute to thriving local economies. Since 1991, Ascendus has provided more than $300 million to 35,000 small businesses owners across the country. For more information, visit www.ascendus.org
Ascendus is seeking an experienced individual to join its Development and Communication team to support its solicitation of $10 million in annual requests, with a specific focus on managing a portfolio of institutional funders, providing administrative support on the day-to-day of department operations, and leading our fundraising event(s). The Development Officer will work with the entire team and report directly to the Development Manager. In some cases, the Officer will also work directly with the VP of Development and Communications, the CEO and other Leadership Team. Additionally, the Development Officer will have the opportunity to support planning and execution of fundraising events, if/when the organization returns to in-person events. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who wants greater autonomy and is ready to leverage their skills to make a visible mark on organizational growth. This position is remote, with teammates in KY, MA, NY.
The Development Officer will be responsible for achieving the following:
- Managing a $2 million portfolio of 30+ institutional accounts, drafting an average of 2 grant requests per month, taking meetings, and preparing an average of 2 reports per month to keep them informed of Ascendus’s work and the impact of their contributions;
- Securing $1 million in renewed support from existing institutional partners per year;
- Researching, identifying and cultivating new funding prospects through prospect research, drafting of pitches and proposals, and coordinating cultivation and stewardship strategies to request at least $1 million in new support from current or prospective funders;
- Providing administrative and operational support to the Development and Communications team including Salesforce management, coordination with accounting on gifts management, and coordination with operations on reporting; and
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to quickly produce high quality, professional‐looking written material.
- Ability to manage complex projects involving other staff, set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet time-sensitive deadlines.
- Attention to Detail. Strong attention to guidance and instruction, analytical ability, and ability to manage detail with bigger picture items.
- Strategic thinking/visioning. Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort; and
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Two to three (2-3) years of work experience in nonprofit fundraising
- Demonstrated proficiency in Salesforce for fundraising
- Experienced in and comfortable using Microsoft Office – including Excel
- Experience in event planning and execution
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred
- A passion for Ascendus’ vision, mission, and values
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary depending on experience
- Competitive salary
- 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision premium plan offerings (savings of $6K – $12K per annum)
- Robust medical plans with $0 deductible and 0% co-insurance options available
- Each employee receives $1,500 employer paid HRA card for wide range of medical-related expenses such as co-pays, prescriptions, etc.
- Eligible for 401(k) participation after thirty (30) days of employment
- Participation in Success Share Plan (a profit-sharing program)
- Summer Friday’s
- Parental Leave Plan
- 13 paid holidays and generous paid time off policy
- Annual company-funded offsite retreat
How to Apply
Click here to apply!
The salary range for this position is $60K- $75K