Ascendus is a nonprofit small business lender working to create economic opportunity by providing entrepreneurs with access to the capital and the business support they need to develop and grow healthy enterprises and contribute to thriving local economies. As an accredited CDFI, since 1991, Ascendus has provided over $336 million to 47,000 small business owners across the country. For more information, visit www.ascendus.org.
About the Role
We want a motivated and exceptional accounting professional to join our Finance and Accounting Team. The Controller will lead the accounting and cash management of the organization, with a focus on financial reporting, policies, procedures and controls, and treasury functions for a growing organization. The Controller will report directly to the CFO, coordinate with the Director of Finance, and manage a two-person accounting team. This position is ideally suited for someone who wants to lead the accounting function for a growing organization. This position is remote.
Financial Reporting (45%):
- On monthly basis, ensure timely reconciliation and closing of all account balances
- Deliver monthly financial reporting package to CFO by 15th of each month
- On on-going basis, manage compliance with accounting policies and procedures
- Coordinate with Director of Finance to achieve the above, as needed
Treasury Functions (20%):
- Manage cash balances to ensure adequacy for liquidity needs over a 30-day period
- Project future cash flow needs over rolling future six-month period
- Propose recommendations to CFO to maximize return on cash held
- Manage access/permissions to bank accounts in accordance with internal controls.
Staff Development (20%):
- Secure retention and professional development of department staff.
- Maximize automation to free up capacity.
- Special project support as needed.
- Secure board accepted audited financials and single audit report by March 31st.
- Secure issuance of signed tax returns by March 31st.
- Ensure timely updates and compliance with accounting policies and procedures.
- Approachability. Able to develop a positive rapport with staff across the organization.
- Effective Communication. Shares information, listens and involves others. Conveys ideas in a manner that engages others and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Analytical skills. Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
- Champions customers needs. Provides timely and professional service to both internal and external customers; is responsive to customer needs and requests; is always courteous to the customer and considers their needs when making decisions.
- Efficiency. Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort. Delegates effectively while remaining accountable to rigorous performance objectives.
- Ability to develop people. Coaches people in their current roles to improve performance and prepares them for future roles.
- Strategic thinking/visioning. Able to determine opportunities and threats through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends. The ability to evaluate and improve processes, and maintain internal controls is critical.
- Shares our values (see https://www.ascendus.org/about/)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related study area. CPA or CFA preferred.
- 7+ years of managerial experience within the financial or nonprofit industries.
- Hands-on experience with Sage Intacct accounting system and Excel.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary depending on experience.
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision premiums (savings of $6K – $12K per annum) and a monthly mobile phone stipend of $30.
- Robust medical plan with $0 deductible and 0% co-insurance.
- Additionally, each employee receives a $1,500 employer-paid HRA card for medical-related expenses such as co-pays, prescriptions, etc.
- Eligible for 401(k) participation; and
- Participation in Success Share Plan bonus (a profit-sharing plan)
How To Apply
The base salary range for this position is $80,000/yr – $105,000/yr.
Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
Click here to apply.